Thursday, February 24, 2011

Trying to Keep Up!

Wow, I haven't had time to post much over the last couple of weeks. There's been so much going on around here.

Family
Last week we left Friday after work and went to my parents house for the weekend to visit with them and to take the boys skiing. On Thursday Mike signed Charlie and James up for NASTAR Racing at Roundtop on Saturday. This is recreational racing for skiers and snowboarders of all ages. He talked to Charlie & James about it and they seemed excited to race and try and get some medals. It's pretty awesome that my parents only live 15 minutes from Roundtop Mountain Resort. On Saturday morning we got up and took the 2 older boys skiing. We were having lots of fun and stopped after awhile to have a snack. Once we started skiing again Mike took Charlie off to race and he ended up getting 4 bronze medals. He was so excited about the medals and didn't let them out of his sight! It was fun watching him ski as fast as he could between the flags. Mike was laughing because at one point he said Charlie was on one ski with his other leg up in the air and he thought Charlie was going to wipe out but he didn't, he managed to get control and finish. The other exciting thing was seeing Will on his skiis for the first time! Mike took him out and skied down with him between his legs. He seemed to really like it. Finally, when Charlie was done racing he came into the lodge and passed out! he had done 9 races and was trying to get a platinum medal! Here are some photos from our day out.




On Monday we ended up getting the boys a bunk bed. We didn't know until we got home just how many pieces there were to put together! We managed to do it without killing each other and it looks great. The boys love it!


Tuesday we found out that Charlie qualified for the Nature Valley NASTAR National Championships held at Winter Park Resort, CO next month! He would get to race with kids from across the country. Needless to say it didn't take Mike long to book the tickets and hotel. He's going to take some days off and fly out there with Charlie and watch him race. What an experience this is going to be for a 5 year old...he gets to ride on a plane for the first time and he will be able to see the U.S. Ski Team and Olympians. I think he'll be excited to get his goody bag too. I'm counting on Mike to take lots of photos and videos of our little guy since I won't be there to watch.

Exercise
I've been doing pretty good with my workouts and even got a new DVD so I can do some stuff with weights at home. My shins haven't been hurting and I'm so glad about that. My next race is on March 19 and it's a 5 mile race, I can't wait.
Here's what my week looks like as far as exercise:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - Off
Wednesday - 4 mile run/15 min. bike
Thursday - 40 min. bike/Shred it with Weights
Friday - 4 mile run/Core workout
Saturday - 40 min. bike/Shred it with Weights
Sunday - 6 mile run/Core workout

Eating/Health

I've been eating my oatmeal, fruit & nuts every morning. I made a big salad this morning that I took to work for lunch. I used spinach, red/yellow/orange peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro and black beans and it was tasty. I only wish I had some avocado to add to it, then it would have been perfect.
I've been wanting to improve my overall health and really start thinking about what I'm eating and how it affects me. There are lots of changes that I want to make but I want to be educated about it and do what's right for me and my family. I'm really excited about a new book that I ordered, it's called Crazy, Sexy, Diet and it should be here soon. I've heard a lot of good things about this book and I think I will get a lot out of it.

12 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats to Charlie!!!! I wish him luck at the race

ajh said...

Great pictures - love the sleeping one! Congrats to Charlie.

Adrienne said...

That salad looks awesome. Way to go Charlie! So fun!

Emz said...

okay that salad ----holy yum!

NASCAR - awesome.

The photos --- the cutest ever!

YAY charlie!!

TheFitHousewife said...

Wow...you've got quite the little skier there! Congrats to him! That salad looks really yummy :)

Julian said...

Your lunch looks really good. Yes I know it is hard to post sometimes to. All the talk of running and I want to see if I can try to start up again. Funny you just mentioned that book. I am doing a giveaway on it soon on my site. They have a neat site that you can be a part of, you may want to take a peak it has lots of resources.

Sue said...

Love you Heather. You and Mike are doing a great job parenting your three little men. What cool boys you have there.

funderson said...

AWESOME..you've got a little ripper there.

Black Knight said...

Go Charlie, congrats!!!!
Beautiful pictures and ... very good salad, I love it.

Amanda@runninghood said...

Wow, impressive! Congrats charlie! Love your pics. And that salad looks like a slice of heavenly yumminess (okay so I don't know if that is real phrase but it's what came to mind).

Molly said...

that's great about Charlie! I love to add black beans to salads, that one looks killer!

Johann said...

I'm also struggling to keep up with blogging and blog reading at the moment. Work is crazy and life in general not far behind. The skiing sounds very exciting. I can't really relate to it though. I've only seen snow 3 times in my life, but that's Africa for you.